Companies have to tell stories
by Eyes & Ears of Europe
Successful companies like Apple, Google, Tesla or Red Bull not only tell good stories, they live a good story. Stories are able to turn brands into myths.
Storytelling is one of the most important forms of communication humanity has ever developed, says Prof. Dr. Michael Müller, head of the Institute for Applied Narration Research at the Stuttgart Media University.
The reason for this is that people are "Storytelling Animals" (Gottschall). We think in stories, experience in stories and explain the world to ourselves with stories, says the storytelling expert, who has been supporting companies in internal and external communication for over 25 years.
"Modern brain research and psychology are finding more and more evidence that stories are one of the central thought and communication formats," says Müller. "Storytelling and other narrative methods are becoming increasingly important, especially in a world in which digital media determine virtually every aspect of life."
Since 2010, Müller has been teaching at the Stuttgart Media University, where he helped establish the Institute for Applied Narration Research. There he and his colleagues research the background and possibilities of narrative methods in companies and in the media.
In his lecture at the event "Storytelling & KI - from Aristotle to Alexa", Müller wants to explain the background for the meaning of storytelling. In addition, the narration researcher will also explain what constitutes a good story and how other narrative methods, such as "storylistening" and "storydoing" work.
When Müller began to bring the term "storytelling" into companies in 1998, he often came across questioning faces. After all, the aim was not to tell fairy tales, but to convince the target group with their products and content.
Today, however, the term is omnipresent and is increasingly being coined anew by technical innovations. However, an ever-increasing range of digital media is also making the battle for viewers' attention increasingly difficult.
Good storytelling can generate attention and build brand loyalty, because good storytelling leads to the target group identifying better with the brand.
Experience Prof. Dr. Michael Müller with his lecture "Storytelling & other narrative methods" at "Storytelling & KI - from Aristotle to Alexa" on May 15, 2019 at the Fritz Thyssen Stiftung in Cologne.
- Book tip: "The History of Graphic Design. Vol. 2, 1960–Today"
- "Can you survive Moon?" and how ProSiebenSat.1 revolutionises HbbTV
- Exhibition tip: "Design Laboratory: Materials and Technology"
- Book tip: "Graphic Design"
- ARTE: Summer of Freedom – Programme design for the thematic focus
- Divimove, ProSiebenSat.1 and Mediengruppe RTL develop campaigns for the 2019 European elections
- Marketing & Design for the TV event "24h Europe - The Next Generation"
- Opportunities & Challenges of eSports on TV - Interview with 7Sports COO Stefan Zant
- Promotion campaigns for VoD and OTT content – An interview with BDA Creative
- Artificial intelligence in everyday life and in the creative industry - Interview with Jochen Voß
- Exhibition tip: "OUT OF OFFICE. When Robots and AI do our work for us"
- New, cross-media combination of TV and mobile: RTL II connects "Berlin – Day & Night" and THE DOME on IGTV
- 4 Things You Can Still Learn About Digital Brand Management
- Companies have to tell stories
- Five Key Ideas You’ll Bring Back from Promax Europe 2019
- CapeRock creates umbrella brand for Deutsche Welle's environmental format "Eco"
- BDA Creative Gives 3sat The First Redesign In 15 Years
- Book tip: "Through a Different Lens"
- Exhibition tip: "Social Design"
- eSports is here to stay! From the alleged niche to the mass audience
- Quadrolux merges fiction and reality in a newly adjusted interview polemic
- SAT.1 GOLD shines in a new design
- Superama produces Image Spot for DMAX and Branded Content Making-Of for SanDisk
- Screenworks produces clips for the German Television Award
- Motion Designer für den Bereich On Air Promotion - mehappy
- Content Creator mit Schwerpunkt auf Online-Grafik & Content Creator mit Schwerpunkt auf Schnitt/Motion Design - mehappy
- Motion Graphics Designer - Red Bull Media House
- Infographics-Designer/in - SRF
- Projektmanager/in mit Schwerpunkt Broadcast/TV Design und Adaption für Multimedia - ARD - Das Erste