ARTE: Summer of Freedom – Programme design for the thematic focus
by Eyes & Ears of Europe
Between 5 July and 25 August 2019, ARTE will be broadcasting a summer programme focus again. This year's theme will be "Summer of Freedom": Every Friday and Sunday, ARTE will devote itself to the themes of freedom and self-fulfilment in pop culture with feature films, concerts and documentaries.
ARTE's summer focus on freedom will be examined from both an individual and a social perspective, since pop culture is a strong mouthpiece in the struggle for political, sexual and religious freedom. The "Summer of Freedom" – with highlights such as Easy Rider, Selma and Woodstock – will be presented by singer and activist Beth Ditto.
The design for this year's programme is literally dancing out of line. Cécile Chavepayre, art director at ARTE, sums up the design briefing: "Freedom is about almost everything in our lives, and at rather different scales: from Society, History, Art, Politics, Economics, Philosophy to Fashion, Make-up and wherever creation lies.... so, how can you represent such a notion, that is obvious yet ontologically hard to categorize?"
Paris based Graphic artist Sylvia Tournerie, who also designed "Summer of Scandals", "Summer of Fish 'n' Chips" and "Summer of Lovers", proposed a simple but effective concept: the letters of S u m m e r o f F r e e d o m are dancing! Cécile Chavepayre says: "We think that dancing is a clear manifestation of what freedom means...or in other terms: freedom could be summed up in seven words: move your ass, your brain will follow!"
- CapeRock creates new identity for Dutch TV channel Net5
- Book tip: "The History of Graphic Design. Vol. 2, 1960–Today"
- "Can you survive Moon?" and how ProSiebenSat.1 revolutionises HbbTV
- Exhibition tip: "Design Laboratory: Materials and Technology"
- Book tip: "Graphic Design"
- ARTE: Summer of Freedom – Programme design for the thematic focus
- Divimove, ProSiebenSat.1 and Mediengruppe RTL develop campaigns for the 2019 European elections
- Marketing & Design for the TV event "24h Europe - The Next Generation"
- Opportunities & Challenges of eSports on TV - Interview with 7Sports COO Stefan Zant
- Promotion campaigns for VoD and OTT content – An interview with BDA Creative
- Artificial intelligence in everyday life and in the creative industry - Interview with Jochen Voß
- Exhibition tip: "OUT OF OFFICE. When Robots and AI do our work for us"
- New, cross-media combination of TV and mobile: RTL II connects "Berlin – Day & Night" and THE DOME on IGTV
- 4 Things You Can Still Learn About Digital Brand Management
- Companies have to tell stories
- Five Key Ideas You’ll Bring Back from Promax Europe 2019
- CapeRock creates umbrella brand for Deutsche Welle's environmental format "Eco"
- BDA Creative Gives 3sat The First Redesign In 15 Years
- Book tip: "Through a Different Lens"
- Exhibition tip: "Social Design"
- eSports is here to stay! From the alleged niche to the mass audience
- Quadrolux merges fiction and reality in a newly adjusted interview polemic
- SAT.1 GOLD shines in a new design
- Superama produces Image Spot for DMAX and Branded Content Making-Of for SanDisk
- Screenworks produces clips for the German Television Award